Okay, I know that it’s not fall right now, but I’ve had this favorite theme entry half planned since September. Why didn’t I post it then? Well, I didn’t have the books PDF ready. When I type up the book summaries, I like to have the books on hand so that I can refresh my memory about why I like them. Sadly, by September, most of our pumpkin books were checked out. So expect some more fall themes to be posted in winter, and winter themes and spring, and so on and so forth.
Pumpkin Books PDF:
Pumpkin Flannelboard Templates:
Here are two flannelboard templates that you can use with a pumpkin theme! The first one is the infamous Five Little Pumpkins rhyme from DLTK. The second one is a fall set from the talented Melissa Depper. Mel gives great ideas for what to do with this set! Click on the images below to be taken to the websites with the templates.
Pumpkin Activities, Crafts, and STEM:
- What I love most about Boy Mama Teacher Mama’s Pumpkin, Pumpkin: Stick and Rhyme is that it can be a craft that you do with your group after storytime. Or you can make the props ahead of time and hand them out to the group during storytime so that you can all do the rhyme together again and again!
- For this Pumpkin Number Matching Activity, I would have ten plates up at the front, and I would hand out numbered clothespins to the children. I would then call out, “Who has the number 1? Find the number 1 pumpkin”. And I would continue on until all the kids had a chance to come up and clip their clothespins on the pumpkins. What’s great about this is that it’s simple to put together, and you can have multiple clothespins for each pumpkin. Activity credit goes to Coffee Cups and Crayons.
- I love cut and tell stories, and this Surprise Pumpkin story from Not Just Cute is a great addition to any pumpkin storytime!
- I also love finger puppets! And Playing with Words 365 has not one, but two sets of finger puppets that look super cute and super easy to make! (You’ll have to scroll down a bit to find them.)
- Can’t take your storytime to a pumpkin patch? Teach Preschool has got you covered by this awesome Pumpkin Patch Scavenger Hunt activity that you can do in your own storytime room/library!
- I love this Five Giant Pumpkins rhyme and flannelboard from Read Rabbit Read!
- Miss Courtney Meets Bobo’s take on Go Away Big Green Monster is so clever! I’ll definitely be doing Go Away Big Orange Monster next fall!
- For more pumpkin flannelboards, be sure to visit the Flannel Friday Fall Board on Pinterest!
- Speaking of Pinterest, if you need some more pumpkin craft ideas, here’s a whole board full of them!